Cococoder (aka Delaney Burke)
I am a confident, amiable, and tenacious self educated developer, with a passion for self improvement and 15 years proven track record in software development on both the Unix/Linux and the Microsoft Windows platform. In my career I have worked for a broad spectrum of clients of ranging from start-ups to multinationals across a vast number of industries, including Media, Banking and Healthcare
My eclectic mix of experience and technical skills have given me an insight into what it takes to bring a product, service or concept through the necessary steps to make it a reality and most importantly a success.
>> Cococoder Ltd - Senior Ruby Developer
From: Feb 2016 - To: Present
>> Interim Head of Engineering
Client : Homie.rent
Feb 2018 - June 2018
Homie.rent is a Tech crunch featured property tech company. They provide a concierge service for renters.
Once you have signed up with the service, Homie will find you properties that meet your requirements and then they organise everything from arranging viewings to negotiating with the estate agents.
My role as Interim Head of Engineering was to provide management and technical leadership while they found a permanent replacement to fill the role.
- Stabilising the technical department while it went through a transition period.
- Building and leading a cross functional remote team of developers
- Working with the business to clarify how tech was going to help them achieve their business objectives
- Working with external resources to provide support for the legacy system
- Defining a plan to rebuild existing system
- Execute the rebuild plan
- Helped build a remote team of developers in Jordan which reduced costs
- Helped to Introduced Daily Reporting
- Simplified tech stack from 4 languages to Ruby and Ruby On Rails
- Implemented my "Man on the Ground" leadership concept
- I introduced the "Three Questions" performance reviews
- I introduced video demos and reporting using loom
- I introduced Happy Mad Sad testing, mandating we did Happy case test as a bare mimimum
> Senior Ruby Developer / Coach and Mentor
Client : Booking Bug
Sept 2017 - Feb 2018
Booking bug is an award winning booking platform.
- Bug fixing
- Mentoring and coaching
- Delivered a presentation on "Lego vs Plasticine" which explains trade offs between dynamic and static languages
- Mentored and coached one of the up and coming tech leads
- Implemented the go card-less integration
> Senior Ruby Developer
Client : IBSC
Feb 2016 - Feb 2018
A software consultancy company specialising in Telecommunications and IT.
As a Ruby developer in the automation team my role is to use my Ruby skills to build tools and frameworks, enabling the business to be more efficient and deliver a better quality service.
- Building web applications using Rails and Sinatra (mostly dashboards , user interfaces and internal tools)
- Automating manual processes by using screen scraping (Nokogiri) and data extraction techniques
- Capturing system requirements using automated testing tools like Cucumber and ThoughtWorks gauge
- Automated testing and verification of applications using a happy, sad and bad test case prioritisation process
- Creating full regression test suites to make sure that new changes to the code do not break existing functionality
- Creating testing and QA environments using Docker containers and LXD
- Implementing continuous delivery pipelines with GoCD
- Implemented an automated CV scanning and data extraction tool which increased revenue 30%
>> Full Six - Senior Ruby Developer
From: Oct 2015 - To: Feb 2016
Full Six is Digital Agency which is part of the Havas Group.
- Implementing new features such as the ability to add recipes to a curated list for later consumption
- Testing the existing and new code using RSpec
- Maintaining the existing code base and RSpec tests suite
- Creating and maintaining a suite of regression tests using Capybara and Steak
- Managing all of my commits in Git using Git flow
- Participating in an Agile scrum based team
- Using UML diagrams to communicate design and architectural decisions
- Using active record and Postgre Sql for object persistence
- Integrated a custom campaign management rest api
- Created a gem for sanitising the staging database
- Migrated the current rails 3 application to rails 4
- Fixed the vagrant development environments
- Create a test framework for outside in testing
- Setup a continuous integration environment
>> Coach In a Box - Head Of Technical Delivery
From: Jan 2014 - To: Aug 2015
Coach in a Box is an innovative company that delivers executive coaching via the telephone and the internet.
The Coach in a Box operating system has been implemented in Ruby on Rails and is hosted on Heroku. The application is covered by a suite of RSpec and Cucumber tests.
- Led and managed a team 4 direct reports and 2 external contractors
- Delivering features
- Supported the growth of the internal and external development teams.
- Assigned and managed the workload and priorities of the IT function to be aligned to the business strategy.
- All system architecture, process and technical direction.
- Implemented an agile software development process which is design and prototype driven
- Handled the migration from Rails 3 to 4
- Encapsulated the whole deployment process as a Ruby GEM, which enabled new members of the team to quickly set up local development environments and deploy the application.
- Initiated the dissemination of the application into a suite of Rails Engines, which enabled us to simplify testing and system maintenance.
- Implemented a micro services platform which utilised DOCKER containers.
- Implemented an Enterprise Service Bus called Yaesu utilised NSQ.io and Redis.
- implemented a Ruby on Rails project tracking tool called Gatwick which enabled us to manage both budget and tasks.
- Introduced Retrospectives after every iteration
- Implemented a new online product called Twelve Shifts which was 3 tier distributed application consisting of a html/css/Coffee Script single page app talking to a rails api (JSON) and utilising PUBNUB RTC.
- Implemented an in app notification system called Tannoy that allowed us to communicate in real-time with groups of users or individual users about system updates
>> Scribble Squad - Ruby Developer
From: Aug 2010 - To: Jan 2014
Scribble Squad, A multi-disciplined team of three, specialising in developing process automation, ETL and web applications using Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Sinatra and Grape.
Sky, a UK telecommunications company.
- Building web applications using Rails /Sinatra (mostly dashboards and interfaces and internal tools)
- Building tools and API’s using Sinatra and Rails and a small micro API framework called GRAPE
- Test automation using Capybara for websites and Calabash and Achouci for testing Android and IOS applications
- Mentoring and training the team members on Ruby, Cucumber and BDD
Net a Porter, an online luxury fashion retailer
- Implemented an automated test framework that exercised every aspect of the business process using Cucumber and Capybara
- Mentoring and training the team members on Ruby,Cucumber and Capybara
- Mentoring and training external teams on our test automation framework Ruby , Cucumber and BDD principles
- Building tools and API using Sinatra and rails
BBC Radio, BBC Radio is an operational business division and service of the British Broadcasting Corporation.
- Help the Business analyst turn their requirements into Gherkins and then implement the Ruby step definitions.
- Automating the user interaction with the website using Capybara
- Using the VCR gem to mock out the external dependencies to the website
- Design and implement a test framework on which the developers are to implement future testing.
Headshift, Management Consultants
Worked on the Nokia socialiser project, a social media monitoring tool
>> Arcacell, A Software Development Consultancy - Senior Software Developer (C# and Ruby)
From: Jan 2009 - To: Aug 2010
Arcacell, A Software Development Consultancy
Responsible for developing a web application in both Ruby and C# as part of a joint venture with a Canadian design agency , Saiko Media.
>> Thought Works - Senior Software Developer
From: Apr 2007 - To: Oct 2008
Thought Works, a Software Development Consultancy
Working on the "Forever mark" Project as part of multi-disciplined team, my role was to develop a C# windows forms application that modelled the diamond marking process across its entire value chain.